ALLEA, the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities, is currently seeking a Student Assistant to join its team in Berlin as soon as possible for a full year, with possibility of renewal, on a weekly average workload of 19.5 hours, preferably for 3 days per week, with an hourly total remuneration of 12.50€ before tax (from 1.1.2021: 12.68€), in accordance with the Tarifvertrag für studentische Beschäftigte (TV Stud III), Berlin.
You will work closely with other staff members to support the effective communication of our projects and activities, and to further strengthen the visibility of ALLEA in the scientific and policy community throughout Europe and beyond. An important part of your job will focus on the organisation of an international science communication conference. You will be also supporting the day-to-day management of a communications office in an international network.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Assistance with conference preparation and event management
- Support ALLEA’s work in the organisation of the international conference “Future of Science Communication: Research and Practice”, scheduled for June 2021 in Berlin. The conference will take place in a hybrid format, allowing for virtual participation.
- The tasks will include managing speakers and participants; logistical preparation and coordination with partners of the digital and physical event; international stakeholder outreach and media relations; documentation and reporting of the dissemination of results.
Regular support of ALLEA’s communication activities
- Assist the communications team in drafting website posts and press releases, and in the day-to-day management of social media channels and blog, particularly on Twitter and ALLEA’s blog (see ALLEA digital salon).
- Help prepare, edit, proofread, and layout ALLEA newsletters, publications, leaflets, etc.
- Support the team with preparation, execution, and follow-up of (digital/hybrid) public events including webinars as well as working group and committee meetings.
- Support in establishing and maintaining media contact databases, creating stakeholder outreach lists, and designing strategies to communicate ALLEA’s work.
- Media monitoring, project administration and general office tasks are also part of this role.
- Be a graduate student enrolled in a university programme (at least until 30 September 2021), preferably in a communications-related field (communications or media studies, journalism, marketing, etc.), or in other social science fields (international relations, sociology, political science, etc.) with a strong interest in communications.
- Have an excellent command of English in speaking and writing; advanced German skills are an asset.
- Have advanced computer skills, particularly MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Ideally have experience with WordPress and Adobe InDesign (experience with Photoshop and Premiere are also valuable) or be very motivated to learn the technical aspects of these programmes.
- Have very good organisational skills, hands-on approach, and a keen eye for detail; ability to work independently and in a team; flexibility to work in an office setting or remotely as needed.
- Have an interest in the areas of expertise of ALLEA (international relations, scientific collaboration, science communications, research policy, scientific advice to policymaking, etc.)
Why join us
ALLEA is the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities, representing more than 50 academies from over 40 EU and non-EU countries. ALLEA operates at the interface of science, policy and society and speaks out on behalf of its members to promote science as a global public good.
You will be part of a multi-cultural, young, and dynamic team working at the centre of Berlin and help ALLEA reach international stakeholders on societally relevant scientific topics. As a not-for-profit organisation, our working environment is informal and collegial, and our team shares a dedication to work for a common greater good. ALLEA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about us, please visit www.allea.org and/or follow us on Twitter @ALLEA_academies.
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your digital application with a cover letter, CV, and relevant corresponding certificates as one single PDF document (3 MB max.) to email@example.com by 27 September 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews in the following weeks.