Webinar: Climate Change and Health
In June 2020, the Group of Chief Scientific Advisors published a Scientific Opinion entitled ‘Adaptation to health effects of climate change in Europe’. This informed the implementation of the European Green Deal and highlights that climate change has consequences for human health. In particular, scientific evidence shows that the increase in heatwaves, infectious and vector-borne diseases and extreme events like fires and floods are all having a detrimental effect on human health and need to be addressed urgently.
This SAPEA webinar on 26 January 2021 will set the scene by focusing on climate action for health before looking at how we can use scientific evidence to integrate climate change and health into policy development across sectors. The key recommendations from the Opinion will also be discussed and we will hear about the EU Adaptation Strategy and European Climate and Health Observatory.
- Welcome – webinar Chair, Professor George Griffin (FEAM President) 15:00-15:05
- Climate action for health– Sir Andy Haines (Professor of Environmental Change and Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) 15:05-15:25
- Using scientific evidence to integrate climate change and health solutions into policy development across sectors – Dr Robin Fears (Biosciences Programme Director, EASAC) 15:25-15:45
- Recommendations from the Group of Chief Scientific Advisor’s Climate Change and Health Opinion – Professor Carina Keskitalo (Member of the EC Group of Chief Scientific Advisors and Professor of Political Science, Umeå University) 15:45-16:05
- Coming soon: EU Adaptation Strategy & European Climate and Health Observatory – Peter Loeffler (Policy Officer at DG CLIMA) 16:05- 16:25
- Panel Discussion with audience questions moderated by Michael Creek (Stickydot)- 16:25-16:45
- Closing Remarks – Professor George Griffin
Science Advice for Policy by European Academies (SAPEA) aims to provide independent and excellent scientific advice to the European Commission’s Group of Chief Scientific Advisors. As such, SAPEA is part of the broader European Commission’s Scientific Advice Mechanism. ALLEA is involved in SAPEA as one of the five academy networks in Europe. Read more about SAPEA
26 January 2021, 15:00 – 17:00 CET
TYPE OF EVENT
Open to the public; registration mandatory