ALLEA, the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities, is currently seeking two
Scientific Policy Officers (f/m/d)
to join its team in Berlin from January 2021 for the duration of two years. The positions are offered as part-time (approximately 75%) with potential increase/decrease of working hours over the course of employment if desired.
Role and Responsibilities
- Coordination and implementation of activities and projects within ALLEA’s science-policy portfolios;
- Organise meetings of working groups with academy fellows and external experts and prepare draft statements and reports based on expert contributions and deliberations (scientific writing);
- Organisation of consultation processes with academies and their fellows as well as with external stakeholders;
- Support organisation of public events and dissemination activities of scientific topics together with ALLEA communications staff, including publication of ALLEA statements and reports;
- Support and organise peer review and endorsement processes for scientific and science-policy publications;
- Regular reporting to ALLEA Board and Executive staff, as well as to project funders;
- Establish and maintain close cooperation with relevant European policymakers and other science policy stakeholders;
- Conduct foresight and horizon-scanning activities and prepare draft project outlines for scientific topics (including work and budget plans) as appropriate;
Skills and Experience
- At least 2-3 years of experience at the interface of science and policy, and/or science management/administration, or in higher education;
- A postgraduate degree in the natural or social sciences, ideally with some experience in working in an interdisciplinary context;
- Excellent oral and written proficiency in English, additional languages are an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in managing budget lines and delivery of scientific or science-policy projects, including grant acquisition and reporting for third-party funded projects;
- Prior experience in scientific publishing and/or science communication is an asset;
- Prior experience working in/with European institutions, international membership or research performing organisations is desirable;
- An established network of relevant stakeholders at the science-policy interface on the European level is an asset;
- Proficient in relevant office software, project management, and reference management (Endnote or Zotero) software.
Why join us
ALLEA is the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities, representing more than 50 academies from over 40 EU and non-EU countries. ALLEA operates at the interface of science, policy and society and speaks out on behalf of its members to promote science as a global public good.
You will be part of a multi-cultural, young, and dynamic team working in the centre of Berlin and help ALLEA reach international stakeholders on societally relevant scientific topics. As a not-for-profit organisation, our working environment is informal and collegial, and our team shares a dedication to work for a common greater good.
This position offers the flexibility of combining working in the office and remotely. Remuneration will depend on the level of previous experience and qualifications and correspond to TV-L 12 or 13 of the German public servant remuneration grade table.
ALLEA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your digital application including a cover letter, CV and relevant corresponding certificates as one single PDF document to email@example.com by 6 December 2020 referencing the job title in the email subject line. Please also mention where or how you became aware of this job offer. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews in the following weeks.
Download the job post here.