ALLEA, together with academic organisations representing the Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) in Europe, publishes the joint statement “Living Together: Missions for Shaping the Future” . The signatories call for more inter- and transdisciplinarity and a conscientious framing of ‘missions’ in the future EU Research and Innovation Framework Programme 9 (FP9), putting forward suggestions that take account of social, cultural, legal and ethical challenges ahead.
The statement responds to a call by the High-Level Group on maximising the impact of EU Research & Innovation Programmes, the so called “Lamy-Group”, to “adopt a mission-oriented, impact-focused approach to address global challenges”.
The signatories critically reflect on the type and scope of missions needed to adequately respond to societal challenges Europe faces in the years and decades to come. According to the statement, “these challenges require concerted efforts within and outside Europe, cutting across borders, cultures, languages, disciplines, sectors and institutions. However, we believe that the concept of ‘missions’ deserves to be discussed and developed further.” Mission-oriented research should thus:
(1) be “transformative in that it generates new knowledge and understanding”,
(2) acknowledge that “innovation is more than technology”,
(3) not be too constrained on specific end-products and “a premature identification of indicators of success or failure”,
(4) be open to researchers to come up with projects of all sizes to produce innovative ideas (bottom-up approach),
(5) “integrate all countries and regions in order to counter the research and innovation divide in the European Research Area” and maintain openness towards collaboration with non-EU countries.
The statement proposes four exemplary ‘missions’ targeting social and cultural transformation:
Initiated by ALLEA’s and HERA’s (Humanities in the European Research Area) respective working groups on Framework Programme 9, this statement was jointly prepared and signed by the European organisations:
- ALLEA (All European Academies)
- HERA (Humanities in the European Research Area)
- ELI (European Law Institute)
- ESA (European Sociological Association)
- Global Young Academy
- Norface (New Opportunities for Research Funding Agency Cooperation in Europe)
- YAE (Young Academy of Europe)